We’ve hit another milestone! On Sunday, August 18, Capital Bikeshare hit 5 million rides! That’s right, 5 MILLION. But we’d be remiss to omit the other totally awesome milestones we hit that very same week! We had the highest weekly ridership ever, with 67,980 trips taken and had the highest daily ridership average, with 9,711 trips. That’s almost 10,000 trips on Capital Bikeshare a day! Less than a month from our third anniversary, we’ll take it!
Capital Bikeshare continues to expand throughout the DC region. We’re looking forward to the addition of Montgomery County to our system and we’ve added more stations in both DC & Arlington this past month.
In the District:
- Washington & Independence Ave, SW/HHS – new, 25 docks
- Independence Ave and L’Enfant Plaza, SW/DOE – new, 15 docks
- Hamlin and 7th St, NE – new, 15 docks
- 17th & K St, NW (north side of K St) – expanded by 4 docks
- 17TH & K St, NW/Farragut Square – expanded by 8 docks
- Pershing & George Mason – new, 11 docks
- Columbia Pike & Dinwiddie – new, 15 docks
- Columbia Pike & Walter Reed - new 12 docks
- Adams & Lee – expanded by 4 docks
- Crystal & 23rd - expanded by 4 docks
- 15th & Hayes - relocated to 12th & Hayes, 19 dock
- 15th & Crystal - relocated about 200’
Capital Bikeshare continues to expand! Crews have installed new stations in the following District locations:
We’ll keep you posted on new developments in Arlington, Alexandria and Montgomery County.
Hey ladies – did you know that similar to yoga, biking can help reduce levels of stress? We sure did, so we’re excited to tell you about BikeArlington’s women’s event “Zen Around the City”! BikeArlington has partnered with Mind Your Body Oasis yoga studio to show you how incorporating biking into your life can help make the hustle and bustle of city life less stressful. With experts on hand to tailor the information to your unique needs, you’ll be one step closer to a happier, healthier and more “zenful” life! So join us for a night of yoga, biking and fun! Tickets are $5 and include dinner and a goodie bag worth $25. Visit the event website to RVSP.
We don’t need to tell you that it’s been a hot, humid summer so far. You’ve been out there on those sweet, red bikes anyways because you’re not scared of no stinkin’ heat! Good for you! We regret to inform you, however, that you can, in fact, become uncomfortably, and sometimes dangerously, dehydrated if you’re not careful. That’s why we’d like to pass along this helpful infographic from our friends at BikeArlington and goDCgo. It’s packed full of good information and somehow manages to also be adorable. Please read the aptly titled “Hot Weather Biking Tips,” and pass it along to your fellow cyclists!