Where do Capital Bikeshare riders go? When do they ride? How far do they go? Which stations are most popular? What days of the week are most rides taken on? We've heard all of these questions since we launched in 2010, and we're glad to provide the data that shows you the answers from our first trip to today.
We invite developers, engineers, statisticians, artists, academics and other interested members of the public to use the data we provide for analysis, development, visualization or whatever else moves you.
This data is provided according to the Capital Bikeshare Data License Agreement.
Trip History Data
Each quarter, we publish downloadable files of Capital Bikeshare trip data. The data includes:
- Duration – Duration of trip
- Start Date – Includes start date and time
- End Date – Includes end date and time
- Start Station – Includes starting station name and number
- End Station – Includes ending station name and number
- Bike Number – Includes ID number of bike used for the trip
- Member Type – Indicates whether user was a "registered" member (Annual Member, 30-Day Member or Day Key Member) or a "casual" rider (Single Trip, 24-Hour Pass, 3-Day Pass or 5-Day Pass)
This data has been processed to remove trips that are taken by staff as they service and inspect the system, trips that are taken to/from any of our “test” stations at our warehouses and any trips lasting less than 60 seconds (potentially false starts or users trying to re-dock a bike to ensure it's secure).
NOTE: The 3-Day Membership replaced the 5-Day Membership in Fall 2011
Download Capital Bikeshare trip history data
Live Station Feed
Capital Bikeshare publishes real-time system data in XML format. Get the XML feed here.
Station status feed in xml format
Capital Bikeshare conducts biannual membership surveys to assess how people use the system and what impact it has on their lives and our communities. The results and reports from these surveys are available below:
2014 Capital Bikeshare Member Survey Report
2014 Capital Bikeshare Member Survey Executive Summary
2012 Capital Bikeshare Member Survey Report
2012 Capital Bikeshare Member Survey Executive Summary
Health Implications of Capital Bikeshare
2011 Capital Bikeshare Member Survey
2011 Capital Bikeshare Survey Executive Summary
Updated on December 6, 2016.